Friday, October 3, 2008

Autumn Sunrise

There were joggers out this morning. I could see them slipping up and down the winding campus paths, autumn's leaves crunching beneath their feet. The sunrise glowed soft and pink above them. There were joggers out this morning. I could see them through the gym window, where I sat upon an exercise bike; the hamster at the wheel. It was my first time in gym. Normally, I'd be one of the runners, out there in the dawn, cool October air against their faces. Today, however, I sat, legs pumping fruitlessly. I watched the other gym members, faces sweaty and focused. They didn't seem bothered by what we are missing. Why am I? I paid twenty dollars to be a gym member, and I get a sports channel on mute. They run for free, and they get the autumn sunrise.Photograph by Valerie Owens

No comments: