Friday, September 5, 2008

Dash!

For sometime now my writing has been in a rut. Everything I write sounds the same. My writing has seized to be a source of personal excitement. I thought it was word choice that was leaving my writing lifeless, or perhaps lack of creativity. I realized this was not necessarily the case. Currently, I am reading A Dash Of Style, by Noah Lukeman. In the midst of my reading, I have come to the revelation that it could be punctuation, misuse and lack thereof, that has left my writing bland. Punctuation, of all things! My work thus far is entirely devoid of punctuation marks such as the dash, the semicolon, and the colon. I rarely use the comma for that matter. I've always shied away from such marks for fear of using them incorrectly.

I feel like a submissive child given a variety of paints and told to decorate the walls. The first question being, naturally; can I really? A few tentative and nervous strokes are made against the bright white expanse. The moves are slow and slight, in case the work must be undone later. Then, a nominally bolder stroke, and another, each stroke increasing in brazenness. The realization dawns: it really is okay. Conform no longer! With this liberated outlook, a brush is taken in both hands and the child really starts going at it. The only danger now is too much paint and no one to say stop. But, that is half the adventure.

So, I am dragging you along with me as I tinker with these newly discovered mechanisms. I cannot wait! There will be hiccups along the way to be sure. I apologize for such, but I hope you enjoy the ride.

No comments: