Thursday, March 26, 2009

And Thus it Continues...

I haven't died. I think I'm the only one who reads this thing anyhow, but nonetheless, my apologies for pathetic blogging. I have an easier time keeping up with my other blog because it has purpose and direction. Here, I feel no purpose and direction.

Books I have recently read, reread, or started:
  • The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton. Yes this was my first time reading The Outsiders. I really enjoyed the voice of Ponyboy, but it sounded a lot like a girl trying to write like a guy (which it is). And the plot was a little too far fetched for me. But it was a fast and enjoyable read.
  • Tex, S.E. Hinton. I enjoyed Tex much better than The Outsiders. I like how fast and smoothly Hinton's novels read. Basic plot line: Coming of age story. My question is, what happens to Tex after Mason goes to college?
  • Animal Dreams, Barbara Kingsolver. I loved Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible, so I was excited to read another book by her. Animal Dreams started out good. It was a little slow and reflective for my tastes, but I liked it. Then about ten pages to the end I lost all interest in the plot. I skipped ahead to assure that things turn out okay and gave up on it. Beautifully written book, but not what I hoped. Basic plot: Woman returns to hometown to look after (sort of) her alzheimer inflicted father and comes to find herself and falls in love.
  • Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert. I got about a third of the way through and haven't finished yet, though I still might. It was painfully slow. I have a feeling the remainder of the novel is much of the same. Basic plot: Deeply unhappy Madame Bovary searchs for happiness in all the wrong places.
  • Out of The Dust, Karen Hesse. It's a children's book, supposedly, but I love it and if you haven't read it, please do so. It's a novel written in simple, beautiful poetry. Great plot. Great poetry. Loved it. Basic plot: Coming of age story in the Dust Bowl, but that's almost simplifying it too much.
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards. I enjoyed this book, but I felt as though it was trying to be too much. I got bored with all the lengthy side stories and their deeper meanings. Still, good plot, interesting read, and beautiful. Basic plot: Unbeknownst to his wife, a well-meaning doctor gives up his newborn Down Syndrome daughter. Unbeknownst to the doctor, she thrives in a loving family. Story of how the two families grow through the years and the effect giving up this baby has on both families.
  • Long After Dark, Todd R. Petersen. This is a collection of short stories and a novella. The author is my English professor, and it's been really interesting to read his work. The stories are sharp, different, and curious. Cool read. I haven't finished it just yet.
Is unbeknownst a word?

No comments: